Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Green Thumbs

Seeds of Change: Collards, Nevada Lettuce, Yellow Squash, Green Peas, Cilantro, Eggplant, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, red bell peppers, carrots, cucumbers and basil.





I admit, I know absolutely NOTHING about gardening. Do you think that stopped me from jumping in head first and calling it a unit study for the kids? NO WAY!! We are adapting this    Unit Study from The University of Illinois Extension. It includes lot's of fun activities and a teachers guide:) SO,  Matt built me a 8ft by 4ft raised garden bed last week, and I went out and bought all the fixins for an organic garden. The kids and I started in on our unit yesterday and today, we finally started planting the seeds.. (a little late I think). I figure I can add starter plants in with seedlings at a later date if they don't do so well.





The girls lasted a lot longer than Christien in this project, I imagine he will enjoy the compost bin slightly more than the girls, so it will all even out in the end. (see I think I messed up right there.. I want a 100% organic garden, if I add regular kitchen waste to my compost bin, I think that cancels out the organic aspect of it, because I only buy certain organic veggies and fruits). Oh well, like I said, I have NO idea what I am doing ;)

Whats in your garden??

No comments:

Post a Comment